message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Love it / Live it: Green Waters [Barnett Newman]

I've made it no secret here that I'm a bit partial to the work of the American Abstract Expressionists and there is just something about the bold, color-drenched canvases of the color field artists in particular that I just can't get enough of. I realized that while I post one of my favorites, Mark Rothko, all the time, I haven't given much play to the other master of the movement, Barnett Newman...

"Painting, like passion, is a living voice." -Barnett Newman

"A painter is a choreographer of space" -Barnett Newman

Barnett Newman's works had a much more linear structure to them, filling the canvases to the edge with saturated hues then applying his 'zips' like streaks of light. I've been incredibly influenced by Newman's works, often feeling like the addition of a single vertical or horizontal line creates that sense of completion in the painting I've been searching for. This piece, 'Dionysius' painted in 1949 is one of my favorites with it's deep blue-greens and now you can set the table with the same delicious palette with these plates from Anthropologie, I'd love them for any season, pulling from the turquoise for a summer soiree and the deep indigo and olive for winter...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment